I realized that I had not given much information about the program I am on, what I am studying, and what else I will be up to while in London. So here is more information about what I will be doing this semester:
My semester abroad consists of several parts.
1) Classes
-I will take three classes from CAPA International Education. My classes are European Government and Politics, Islam and Democracy, and Learning through Internships
2) Research Policy
-I am on a program from Rice called the Global Urban Lab. In this class/lab, we will focus on researching a specific policy that relates to the Olympics. If possible, our research will include comparative policy between London, Houston, and Istanbul. We will be going to Istanbul for Spring Break.
3) Spring Break in Istanbul, Turkey
-Here we will learn more about our policy research topics. Besides touring the city, we will visit schools, hospitals, and transportation centers. We will also present our research at KoƧ University. Before we go, however, there is much reading and researching to do so we can learn a lot about Turkey. If possible, we will use Skype to attend speaker sessions and discussions being held at Rice.
4) Internship
-Each student received a different internship placement according to his or her interests. We have to intern for 20 hours a week. My internship placement will be at....
-the Liberal Democrat headquarters at Westminster! I will be working at the Candidate's Office. I don't know what my specific duties will be....but I hope they are politics or law related.
WOW! That seems like a lot. However, classes shouldn't be too difficult so I think we will still have plenty of free time to do other things. In addition, the CAPA center has a lot of activities for us to do. They have movie nights, dinner outings, visits, and tours. We also received a calendar of activities called "My Education." These activities compliment our classes and our internship. Of course, I am planning to participate in almost every single one!
No comments:
Post a Comment