Thursday, February 9, 2012

Weekend Tidbits


What did I do last weekend? Here are some tidbits and thoughts on some things I have done.

The Iron Lady
-CAPA had a special outing to a movie theatre...to see the Iron Lady
-I of course signed up because the movie is advertised everywhere! (on every other double decker bus)
-While I enjoyed learning about Margaret Thatcher, I didn't think the movie was that great. It is basically a glimpse into the ex-prime minister's life, similar to a behind the scenes plot. However, this glimpse is through an elderly Margaret Thatcher's (played by Meryl Streep) eyes as she struggles with dymentia. She reminices about her youth but also hallucinates about her husband and has strange dreams.
-I wish the movie had concentrated more on her politics and her career, instead of her illness and current life. However, I hear many British people who lived during her time as prime minister enjoyed it because they got to see a slightly different view of the Iron Lady.

Out and About: Covent Garden
-Covent Garden is a district in the West End. What used to be a fruit and vegetable market is now a popular tourist attraction full of shops, restaurants and pubs.
-We walked around for a little while and visited different pubs.
-The area is also full of street entertainers so it was also fun to stop and see those.



Let it Snow!
-It snowed on Saturday afternoon!
-I have never seen so much snow
-I walked around in it for a while. My friends and I went down to a nearby park. While walking it so much snow was only fun for the first two minutes, I really enjoyed how beautiful everything looked. Everything looks amazing covered in powdery white snow.
-However, I still prefer Houston summers to London winters :) What can I say? I love sunshine.





The British Museum special exhibit: the Hajj, Journey to the Heart of Islam
-I really wanted to go to this museum because I felt it would go perfectly well with the class I am taking on Islam and Politics.
-My friend Angie and I went to the exhibit, and where delighted to find out that the price for students was 2 for 1! So we only paid 5 pounds each instead of 10.
-I loved the exhibit so much! I wish we had been allowed to take pictures.
-The exhibit was both beautiful and informative. I got to see real pieces of the kiswa that has covered the ka'ba. It is absolutely gorgeous, made with silver and gold thread. The kiswa was probably one of my favourite pieces.
-I also liked listening to a recorded "call to prayer" from a mosque.I'm sure I will hear more of these when I visit Istanbul for spring break.
-My favourite was an art piece that used magnets to describe the emotion of people surrounding the ka'ba. I thought this perfectly explained the heart of the journey to Mecca. In general, the exhibit was very successful in explaining the beliefs and reasons for wanting to go on the hajj. Islam really is a beautiful and loving religion, and I think it is a shame that most people in the US are ignorant of the real Islamic beliefs. Most people simply think "terrorism and jihad" without giving Islam a true glance.

99 Names for God


No comments:

Post a Comment