Honestly, this was one of the most amazing weeks of my life. I don't think I will be able to fully express myself in a few blog posts, and accurately explain everything I saw, everything I learned, and all of the wonderful experiences that I had. The whole week was a blur! It was a blur of colors, sights, new people and places, making new friends, and being immersed in an entirely different culture.
Istanbul is unlike any place I have ever visited. First of all, this was the first time I visited a country where I do not speak the native language. That was an entirely new experience for me! I didn't give this fact much thought until I got there, and it was almost a surprise to me when I realized I could not read any of the signs, nor understand most people outside of our student group. Ah! I needed to learn some basics quickly. On the bus to our dorm, I borrowed a classmate's Kindle because she had a phrase book of basic Turkish. I made sure to learn hello, my name is, I don't speak much Turkish, thank you, etc. Early on, I also realized that unlike my visits to France, the majority of people in Turkey do not know English. Many know the basics, but even waiters at frequently visited tourist restaurants did not know much beside basic English phrases. It was really great that we had Ipek and Dr. Marschall with us most of the time to help us.
Second, this was the first time that I visited a non-majority-Christian country. They say Turkey is 99% Muslim and 100% secular, but I would say that Islam is very prominent and that it makes up an important part of the culture if not the religious attitudes. For example, even though people may be secular, the culture is still mixed with Islamic values and thought.
I loved seeing the mosques everywhere. As our airplane touched down, I looked out the window and was awestruck by the look of the city. Neighborhoods sprawled but everywhere, in every direction, I could see the tall minarets of the mosques sticking out above all other buildings (except the few skyscrapers). Later on when we were on the bus I also noticed the strong Islamic and Ottoman influence on some of the older and historic buildings.
My friend Angie also pointed out that it reminded her of Monterrey, Mexico. I agreed in that it had many similarities to some Mexican cities, even though I have never seen Monterrey. For example, the style of the apartment houses, the clothing lines, the color of the paint, and even the style of the roads and highways certainly made me think of places like Morelia. Other things were the constant vendors everywhere on the streets, selling everything from umbrellas, gum, drinks, to small souvenir or household items. Finally, the style of the bazaar and the outdoor stands selling fresh fruit juices or food also reminded me of Mexico.
| Taken from the bus, on our way to the dorm. |
We stayed at a dorm in Koç Univierstiy, located in a neighborhood called Istinye. It was somewhat to the north of Istanbul, not exactly in the heart of the city, but not too far away either. I liked that we lived a little farther out because that way we got to see more of the real Turkish culture of the suburbs, versus the places plagued by tourists. It was nice to walk around the neighborhood, see some shops, and sit at local cafés. Angie and I discovered the amazing drink called "salep," which is similar to Mexican atole. It is a warm milk based drink with cinnamon, but I am not sure what else is used to make it.
On our first night we were tired from our travel. It was somewhat an ordeal to get to the airport with all of our large bags. We had to pull our bags down a hill for a 20 minute walk to the underground station, and then carry it up stairs when we transferred to a different train route. I was extremely thankful that Tosh helped me carry it up the stairs.
Anyway, we made it to Istanbul in one piece, even though our Houston counterparts did not. They had some bad luck leaving Houston and so were quite delayed. Their flight had actually been cancelled and they had to take a later flight. Otherwise, they would have joined us on our flight from London Heathrow to Istanbul. But no worries! We met Ipek at the airport and she had everything ready for us. (Oh we actually made a mistake upon arrival and got on the wrong bus, only to discover it was for a different group)
That first night we just settled in at Koç, took a stroll down the neighborhood to the Bosphorous and then had coffee/tea/salep at Mina's, a small but quaint café. I loved that I got to see the Bosphorous and the beautiful lit up bridge (one of the two) that joins the "European side" of Istanbul to the "Asian side."
| First night: enjoying the neighborhood view across the Bosphorous |
| Mmm my first Turkish coffee |
Overall, a good first day full of excitement for all of the activities that were still to come!
what did the group whose bus you guys stole do??
ReplyDelete