Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Liberal Democrats



Today I finally had my interview for my internship! It was originally scheduled for yesterday, but I was moved to today at noon. I had been waiting anxiously for this interview, but this morning I was nervous. I got up extra early to have a good breakfast and to get ready. Even though my interview was at noon, I decided to leave my flat at 10:15am in case the trains were delayed. I also didn't know how long it would take to get there. Well...I'm glad I left early because there was in fact a train delay. By the time I arrived at Westminster it was 11:30am. Since the Liberal Democrat headquarters are not too far away from the tube entrance, I stopped by a bookstore for a few minutes so as not to arrive 30 minutes early for my interview. The Liberal Democrats headquarters are located just two blocks away from Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, and right across the Themes and the London Eye! That means I will get to walk past all these beautiful places as I go to work.
Wearing my snazzy suit to my interview :)

Once I arrived, I was directed to the elevator and then to a meeting room. The building is very grand, older, and fancy, but on the inside it is modern and brightly lit. Finally, my site supervisor arrived. Her name is Molly Pite. The interview really ended up being not much of an interview! It was rather informal...she just asked me about myself and then told me what the Candidate's Office does and what work I would be doing. They told me my work would be varied. Some would be administrative but I will also have a lot of flexibility to pick up different projects. I was extra excited when they told me I could attend the Liberal Democrat conference in Newcastle (over a whole weekend in March) with all expenses paid. Yay! They said that is a very important conference where I will get to meet party members, Members of Parliament, and most importantly....attend meetings where they talk about policy and decide the party manifesto. I'm looking forward to it! It will be the weekend after I come back from Spring Break.
Finally, we talked about the hours I will be working. I will be working on Tuesdays from 2-6pm and Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 6pm.

Well, that was it for the interview! :) I'm looking forward to starting work next Tuesday. First....there is a fun weekend planned and I'll keep you guys updated.


Film Night at CAPA
Oh so after my interview I went back to my flat in Ealing to have lunch. I then took care of a few things (emails and stuff) and then I went to the CAPA center because there was a film showing that I wanted to go to. The movie we watched was called "A Separation," and it is an acclaimed international film with many awards. It is an Iranian movie about a couple that is getting a divorce but then runs into all sorts of different problems. More than anything, it is a glimpse of family and society in Iran. I really liked it! It also counts as a My Education event (extracurricular) for my class on Islam and Politics.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of you internship!! And I really want to see A Separation; I saw a trailer for it a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I like watching the trailers for all of these awesome movies, but I can never watch them! :(

    ReplyDelete