Sunday, February 19, 2012

Adapting to London Life

During one of Dr. Emerson's lectures, we discussed the ways in which urbanism changes social life. What are the effects of cities on the individuals that make up urban society? How do people adapt to cities? These are questions that certain sociologists have addressed in the past. On example is Wirth, who in 1938 argued that the critical masses of people in urban places led people to feel alienated. He believed urban life weakened kinship ties and undermined the traditional basis for social solidarity.

So in class we discussed accuracy of Wirth's (1938) statements and some of the ways that London life has changed us, for the better or worse. Later on in the day, I made a list of things that I have learned while adapting to London life.

I took this picture!

-When people start running down the platform, I should probably run too because the train is about to leave.

-It is perfectly okay to wear nice suits or dresses with chunky winter boots or uggs.

-Fashionable men wear dark suits and winter coats, but pastel colored scarves.

-Food seems to spoil a little faster, even in the fridge...because food here has less chemicals and preservatives in it.

-You should always walk fast and with a purpose, especially in the Underground. Move to the edges if you need to slow down, or else risk being run into.

-Stand only on the right side of the escalator. The left side is for people who are walking up the escalator.

-MIND THE GAP.......between the train and the platform.

-A good intern knows how to make a good cup of tea.

-When people ask "Are you okay?" they actually mean "How are you?" So you should answer "Fine, thank you" and not "Yes," otherwise they'll keep asking.

-Going to a pub after work for a couple of beers (with your co-workers) is normal.

-Office etiquette requires you (even the bosses or supervisors) to make tea for your co-workers.

-You know you're adapting to London life when tourists taking pictures annoy you.


I want to upload some videos...so I'm experimenting to see how it works.


2 comments:

  1. LOL! I like the one about "Are you okay?" hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Love this post. It's great to hear about your life there in London ;) Jackie

    ReplyDelete